Mai Chao is an Associate Attorney who cares about her clients and her community. She is fluent in speaking and writing Hmong. Mai Chao practices out of both the Madison and Jefferson offices of Lawton & Cates. Her primary areas of practice include general civil litigation, family, and immigration law.
Prior to joining Lawton & Cates, Mai Chao worked as a Judicial Intern for the Honorable Daniel Kelly in the Supreme Court of Wisconsin. She also independently handled cases and represented clients with modest means as a Clinical Student Attorney in the Family Court Clinic where she gained experience arguing motions before the circuit court. When she is not working, Mai Chao enjoys cooking and exploring new recipes, traveling, and visiting museums.
- Wisconsin, 2017
- Western District of the United States District Court of Wisconsin, 2018
Professional Associations and Memberships
- State Bar of Wisconsin (Member)
- Dane County Bar Association (Member)
- Legal Association for Women (Member)
- University of Wisconsin Law School, Madison, WI (J.D., 2017)
- American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers Scholarship Recipient
- University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI (B.A. Sociology and Certificate in Gender and Women Studies, 2013)