Shane W. Falk
Shane W. Falk
Director and Attorney
Family Law, Labor and Employment, General Litigation, Personal Injury and Accidents, Administrative and Regulatory Law
Phone Number: 608-282-6200
Attorney Shane W. Falk received the Award of Exceptional Achievement from the Wisconsin State Bar Association in 2001 and two awards in 2007. He was also awarded the Godon Sinykin Award of Excellence for Outstanding Public Service in 2001.
Shane W. Falk has extensive experience representing clients during difficult life events, such as serious personal injuries or divorce. An empathetic and passionate attorney, he has earned great respect from clients, opposing counsel, juries, and the courts. Judges have stated that his legal skills are “outstanding” and that he is “detailed and meticulous.” When asked how he does it, Attorney Falk often says: “I put myself in my clients’ shoes, really learn and understand their feelings. With that knowledge, zealous representation is easy.”
Disputes in matters such as a divorce, child custody and placement, child support, maintenance, or property division can be stressful, as well as painful for clients. Attorney Falk’s legal representation of clients often goes further than excellent legal advocacy in court settings and includes sound legal counsel for clients to assist them with navigating not only the legalities of a family law matter, but also the stress and pain that may accompany the dispute.
In addition to general litigation matters, Attorney Falk has experience advising businesses and other organizations in their interactions with local and state government, as well as public officials, candidates, and political organizations navigating Wisconsin’s campaign finance, elections, ethics and lobbying regulations. Attorney Falk has also provided consulting services to candidates and political organizations regarding public policy issues and legislation. Attorney Falk has direct experience with political campaigns and media relations.
Attorney Falk has had hearings or trials in nearly half of Wisconsin’s 72 counties, as well as federal district court. His experience includes trials before judges and juries, and appellate work with the Wisconsin Court of Appeals, Wisconsin Supreme Court, and the 7th Circuit Court of Appeals. In addition, Attorney Falk has represented clients successfully before administrative agencies such as the U.S. Social Security Administration, U.S. Internal Revenue Service, U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, Wisconsin Department of Workforce Development—Worker’s Compensation and Equal Rights Divisions, and the Wisconsin Department of Administration—Hearings and Appeals. Finally, Attorney Falk served as staff counsel for the Wisconsin Government Accountability Board where he was an active participant in the administration and enforcement of Wisconsin’s campaign finance, elections, ethics and lobbying laws, including direct advice to the regulated community.
- Jones v. Secura Ins. Co., 2002 WI 11 (Insurance Bad Faith)
- Eckendorf vs. Austin, 2000 WI App 219 (Property Easement)
Wisconsin, 1996; U.S. Federal Court 2001
Honors and Awards
- Wisconsin State Bar Association: Award of Exceptional Achievement (2001 and two awards 2007)
- Gordon Sinykin Award of Excellence for Outstanding Public Service (2001)
- Rotary: District Governor’s Award and Citation “Service Above Self” (2001-2002)
University of Minnesota Law School, Minneapolis – J.D. 1996, cum laude
Maynard Pirsig Moot Court Instructor
ABA National Appellate Advocacy NY Section Semifinalist
Minnesota Justice Foundation
Marquette University, Milwaukee, WI—B.S. 1993, magna cum laude, Political Science and Criminology
Honors Fraternities: Phi Beta Kappa, Alpha Sigma Nu
Published Works and Presentations
- Wisconsin State Senate and Assembly: Hearings, Executive Committee Sessions 2009-14
- “Keeping the Vote Honest: Access to Elections Records,” Public Records, Open Meetings, State Bar of Wisconsin CLE, Madison, Sep. 28, 2011.
- “Voter Registration List Maintenance Issues and Litigation,” Election Law Issues for State Elections Attorneys, National Association of State Elections Directors, Washington D.C., Feb. 8, 2009.
- “BCRA: Bipartisan Campaign Reform Act of 2002, Implementation of McCain-Feingold,” Verdict, Vol. 26:3, Summer 2003.
- “Municipal Liability Caps: A Legislative Duty to Review and Increase the Limits,” Verdict, Vol 23:1, Winter 2000.
- “Require Fairness: Bad Faith Claims and the Unfair Claims Practices Act,” Verdict, Vol 22:1, Winter 1999.
- “Informed Consent—Recent Developments and New Issues,” Verdict, Vol 20:4, Fall 1997 (co-authored by Lynn R. Laufenberg)